7.04.2009

Happy 4th of July!


(This is an awesome piece by my good friend, Jake Smith, who serves with the United States Army.)
The lights are out. My brothers are snoring. I'm laying on the floor looking at facebook. I glance at the clock. It's 0135 hours. The fourth of July has arrived. I'm not entirely sure where it came from, as it seems it could be just moments ago that I lay in a bed not my own, somewhat nervous, as I prepare to ship off to basic training the next morning.

Clink. Clink.

My dog tags hang from my chest, their muted noise a constant reminder to me that freedom isn't free. Too bad so many don't even know what that means

A few years back, fifty-six men signed the American Declaration of Independence. The official beginning of our nation, year seventeen eighty-six. It could have been just words. Ink on paper. But that ink was put on paper with a purpose, by men with a passion, willing to give up everything for this. As it turns out, those who signed it weren't the only ones willing to back up the ink. Our entire nation pulled together to claim it's rightful independence. The men that fought and died, the blood that was shed, it was the beginning of the freedom we celebrate today.

Celebration is great. We take a moment to be thankful we're American, blow up some money because we can and it's cool, and move on with life. Don't tell me that's not how it is, because that is exactly what I've done the past couple of years. Honestly, I didn't take any time to seriously think about the significance of the day.

Don't be like me. In fact, I challenge you to actively be different. Take at least five minutes right now and go read that declaration. Find out what we actually gained freedom from. Find out why this is all such a big deal.

Done that? Sweet. You rock. Now, take just another moment to look through our Bill of Rights -- the first ten amendments to our constitution. These are the freedoms we have in the States. Not everyone has these rights that we take advantage of every day.

We don't just get these freedoms because someone decided to write down some great ideals. These "rights" we claim have been purchased through the sacrifices and blood of countless Americans. That is why we take today to celebrate our freedom and honour those who fight for it.

I'm not suggesting you call of the party and the cook out in the back to put on dark clothes, sit in a corner and throw ashes on your head to mourn. No way! Family, friends, hot dogs and explosives are the American thing on the Fourth! Just don't forget what today is about. Don't take your freedoms for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment